- YMCA Healthy Kids Day - Saturday, April 28. YMCA is celebrating Healthy Kids Day® with free community events for kids and families. From 8 - 11 a.m., TownLake YMCA will host fun activities and refreshments for the whole family in The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum parking lot! Then, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., other Austin area and Greater Williamson County YMCA locations will host engaging activities to encourage children and their families to adopt behaviors that support a healthy lifestyle, including fitness testing, obstacle courses, bike safety, sports skills challenges, safety information, face painting, arts and crafts and refreshments. Go here to see which locations are participating.
- Sunset Valley ArtFest - Saturday, April 28, from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. The Sunset Valley Arts Commission hosts the 6th Annual Sunset Valley Artfest. Shop at more than 50 local artists and artisans. Kids can be creative at the Adventure Build hands on building area, using cooperative learning to build their own playground and structure. The live music stage will feature performances by The Gourds, Brave Combo, and more. Check out the kids' stage to see The Biscuit Brothers and other fun children's performers. Located next to the SFC Sunset Valley Farmers Market, outside the Toney Burger Center, 3200 Jones Rd., Austin.
- Dragon Boat Festival - Saturday, April 28, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dragon boat races, Taiko drums, Lion/Dragon dance, Japanese, Chinese and Hawaiian dances, and more. Festival Beach, on the banks of Lady Bird Lake.
- Día del Niño Verde - Saturday, April 28, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Join The Magellan International School for a free, public, multicultural kids' green festival. Enjoy a day of fun, eco-friendly activities and workshops. Dia del Niño Verde will feature a Pop Up Adventure Playground created with recycled, reusable items, encouraging children to create their own worlds out of everyday reusable items such as stacks of newspapers, tires, boxes, and ropes. The Magellan International School, 7938 Great Northern Boulevard, Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta - Saturday, April 28, from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. The public is invited to participate in the ribbon cutting of the new Social Enterprise Complex and stay for free family Cinco de Mayo performances and activities. 6002 Jain Lane, Austin.
- Texas Community Music Festival - Saturday, April 28, from 11:30 a.m. - 9 p.m. and Sunday, April 29, from 11 a.m. - 9 p.m. Free live music at Central Market North. Performances by Charanga Cakewalk, Republic of Texas Big Band, Lone Star Swing Syndicate, Austin Symphonic Band and more. Visit the Central Market website for the complete schedule. 4001 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Alamo Kids Club - Saturday, April 28 at noon. Enjoy a free screening of Jason and the Argonauts (1963). Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar, 1120 S Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Super Cinderella - Saturday, April 28 at 2 p.m. at Twin Oaks Library and Sunday, April 29 at 1 p.m. at HOPE Farmers Market. The Violet Crown Community Theater's children's play is Super Cinderella, a half-hour show that is a theatrical adaptation of the popular children's story, where Cinderella has a superpower!
- Austin Dog Fair - Sunday, April 29, from 2 - 5 p.m. You and your dog can get valuable info from vets and trainers, practice your skills on the dog obstacle course, and enjoy contests like "Trickiest Dog", "I Look Like My Dog", "So Ugly It's Cute", and "Fastest Dog". Fun prizes and freebies will be offered up and you can find out more about services offered by local dog businesses. Brentwood Park, 6710 Arroyo Seco, Austin.
- KLRU 50th Birthday Party - Sunday, April 29, from noon to 4 p.m. Your favorite PBS characters will be celebrating KLRU's birthday at a FREE block party and you're invited! Cookie Monster, Arthur, SuperWhy, Clifford, Maya & Miguel and others will take over 2ND Street for a day of family fun. There will be fun for the whole family including a Central Texas Gardener activity, story time with local celebrities, Arts In Context dance demonstrations and much more. Bring your camera! 2nd Street in downtown Austin.
Nearby Free Weekend Fun:
- Movies in the Park in Leander: Dolphin Tale
- Red Poppy Festival in Georgetown
- SpringFest in Bee Cave - includes a performance by Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis
- Buda County Fair and Wiener Dog Races - free for kids 12 and under; $3 for adults
- Wimberley ArtsFest - includes a performance by Sara Hickman
- YesterFest in Bastrop - kicks off with the free El Camino Real Music Festival
This is one of those weekends when I could have done a Top 30 list of free events! Check the Free Fun Calendar for many more family friendly activities happening around town, including a Friday night family movie under the stars, the Fantastic Magic Camp Birthday Party, a rooftop screening of Say Anything, an accordion contest, a Community Gardening Tour, a performance by Ballet Folklórico Mexikayotl, and a free show by The Invincible Czars!